Why Gentleness Is A Strong Classroom Management Strategy

Smart Classroom Management: Why Gentleness Is A Strong Classroom Management StrategyThere is a common misconception that you must have a big presence to be an effective leader.

You must psych yourself up, throw your shoulders back, and move boldly among your students.

Your voice must boom.

Your walk must swagger.

Your eyes must squint and narrow in on your charges.

And while classroom presence is important, it isn’t born of overconfidence, forcefulness, or aggression.

It’s born of gentleness.

Here’s why:

Gentleness is respected.

21st-century students respond best to a calm, even-handed approach to classroom management. They appreciate honesty and kindness. They respect it, and thus, are quick to listen and please their teacher.

The older the students are, the more this is true.

Gentleness lowers stress.

Without saying a word, a gentle presence removes classroom stress, tension, and anxiety. It soothes and alleviates excitability and distraction—which are two major causes of misbehavior.

It equals a happier, more productive classroom.

Gentleness curtails pushback.

Enforcing consequences calmly and consistently diminishes the possibility that your students will argue, complain, or lie to you about their misbehavior.

Instead, they’ll quietly take responsibility.

Gentleness builds rapport.

When you carry yourself with a gentle demeanor, you become more likable to your students. In fact, it’s an easy and predictable way to build powerful leverage, influence, and rapport.

Which makes everything easier.

Gentleness feels good.

Beginning each morning with a poised, easygoing manner will make you a lot happier. Inconveniences won’t get on your nerves. Difficult students won’t get under your skin.

You’ll be refreshed at the end of every day.

Gentleness Isn’t Weakness

Weakness is when you lose emotional control.

It’s when you lecture, berate, and admonish students instead of following your classroom management plan.

It’s when you take misbehavior personally.

Gentleness, on the other hand, is strong. It’s capable and confident. It says that you’re in control and that your students can relax and focus on their responsibilities.

This doesn’t mean your lessons won’t be dynamic and passionate. It doesn’t mean you won’t be enthusiastic or you won’t demand excellence from your students.

Gentleness isn’t sleepiness. Nor is it afraid and cowering in a corner.

It’s a calm, reassuring approach to managing your classroom that communicates to every student that you’re a leader worth following.

Martin Luther King Jr. was gentle. So were Rosa Parks and Abraham Lincoln.

And so are the happiest and most effective teachers on earth.

PS – Beginning today, January 17th, Dream Class will be available via Kindle for only $4.99. The promotion will end on the 23rd.

If you haven’t done so already, please join us. It’s free! Click here and begin receiving new-article updates in your email box every week.

61 Responses to Why Gentleness Is A Strong Classroom Management Strategy

1. Denia January 16, 2016 at 9:50 am #

I love this!! Great message. I’m a first year teacher and this is very true in my experience.

• Michael Linsin January 16, 2016 at 11:43 am #

I’m glad you like it, Denia!

2. Marcie January 16, 2016 at 10:00 am #

I enjoy all of your articles, but I think this is the best one yet. I noticed when I give a consequence – gently – but matter of factly, I get zero push back. When I first began teaching, I felt like I had to control every little thing going on in the classroom. This was SO much work. However, when I took the students’ behavior and performance off of my shoulders and placed it on theirs, I was free to teach and have fun while doing so! My students aren’t perfect, and I’m not the perfect teacher; but, we have an effective classroom. I enjoy coming to school every day, and my students seem to enjoy being there! Thank you for your articles, they have truly blessed me with some great tools in my classroom!

• Michael Linsin January 16, 2016 at 11:43 am #

You’re welcome, Marcie. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

3. Samantha January 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm #

I really appreciate your mentorship. I purchased your book and found the ideas compelling. I’ve been working at implementing them in my classes. I have a background as an engineer so understandably I’m a little cut and dried on things but am working on the relationship part. I have given students more responsibility and they surely appreciate it. I also have been able to keep things calm and mostly with a smile on my face. You’re posts keep me on track!

• Michael Linsin January 16, 2016 at 1:16 pm #

Glad to hear it, Samantha. Cut and dried is a strength on the accountability end of the classroom management spectrum.

4. Fatma Zohra January 16, 2016 at 2:10 pm #

Thank you so much for this article. I would be more than happy to read more about your classroom management articles cause they are of a great help to my field of study here in Algeria.

• Michael Linsin January 16, 2016 at 3:58 pm #

It’s my pleasure, Fatma.

5. Kirsten January 16, 2016 at 6:55 pm #

Hi, Thanks for another thought-provoking article, I love your site!

I am a secondary teacher who has all new classes starting in a few days. I wanted to change up my classroom management techniques and have been using your archives to plan my strategy. My question is (sorry not exactly aligned with this particular article): What consequences do you recommend for high school or secondary students. I teach mostly seniors and juniors in a “urban” environment where the kids would not take kindly to calling a consequence “time-out” nor am I sure it would be appropriate for my classroom. The school offers lunch detentions or ISS, but neither are enforced consistently and I like to keep behavior issues in house anyway. Do you have thoughts or suggestions on how I can mold your plan to fit where I’m at? Thanks so much!!

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 8:37 am #

Hi Kirsten,

This is a big question we just don’t have the time and space for here. I don’t recommend time-out for high school students. Consequences depend on you, your students, your grading policy, and your school guidelines. I hope to have an ebook on this topic written before the end of next summer. Stay tuned.

6. Andrea January 16, 2016 at 8:14 pm #

I really loved this. I coordinate an after-school program and I can readily envision how this advice can be implemented and work well with our kids. Thank you so much. Definitely getting the book.

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 8:29 am #

You’re welcome, Andrea.

7. Lynn McMillan January 17, 2016 at 6:43 am #

As always, this is great advice. I just wanted to say thank you and wish you a happy and healthy new year. Your mentorship touches and improves so many lives! Much appreciated!

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 8:30 am #

It’s my pleasure, Lynn. Thank you.

8. Daphne January 17, 2016 at 7:45 am #

This is very true and I’m very conscious about how my demeanor is when entering my school and classroom. My students come from chaotic home lives and it’s important to create a calm environment even as a sub. However, IT creates jealousy among my peers.

9. Stephanie January 17, 2016 at 7:58 am #

Fantastically inspiring and grounding at the same time. I can see how this would apply in higher ed classrooms as well as K-12. Thanks!

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 8:31 am #

You’re welcome, Stephanie. I’m glad you like the article.

10. Carla Jorge January 17, 2016 at 8:33 am #

Hello Michael. I am a new teacher. How do you give a consequence in a gentle way?

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 8:41 am #

Hi Carla,

We have many, many articles on this topic. Please read through the Classroom Management Plan, Rules & Consequences, and Time-Out categories of the archive.

11. Angie January 17, 2016 at 8:58 am #

I just had a conversation with my class of 87 sophomores through seniors about my classroom management style. I told them that even though I don’t yell and get angry at individuals from the podium (i am a music teacher) doesn’t mean I am a push over. There are consequences in place for misbehavior but getting me to lose my focus and cool is not one of them. This article was very timely for me and reassuring that I am doing the right thing.

12. Sandy Goodwick January 17, 2016 at 11:13 am #

Yes. My heart and soul, borne out of almost 66 years of living (43 as teacher) says this is a far greater strength than brute force, coercion, etc. But it’s harder to learn. It takes greater power to be gentle than to be powerful. Combine gentleness with humor… and the bumps in the road are part of the ride rather than dead ends. Gentleness doesn’t necessarily mean using the ‘right’ words. It can be found in the silence, looks and gestures after outbursts. But to truly benefit from gentleness, it must be regarded as worthy, respectable, useful. When gentleness is met by disdain, over time it dissipates and fear is left in its wake. It is the antithesis of “rigor”. It brings us back to what counts the most… While I truly believe it will work with students, it doesn’t work with administrators, BoE members, etc. For them, we need an outside awareness that bullying even exists. Explicit policies/laws, etc., may be the only game changer for them.

13. Aurora January 17, 2016 at 1:14 pm #

As a secondary schho teacher I’ve found your tips really useful. But I’m not sure if I would get the same result as the ones described because of the age range I teach.
    I’m glad to know about your projet. So, I am looking forward to your book on High School.

14. Hugh O'Donnell January 17, 2016 at 3:20 pm #

Right on the mark!

In my classes, we had posters here and there on the wall and classroom door that said “Respect Zone” in both English and Spanish. At the start of school and sometimes with reminders thereafter I explained the concept to students. That philosophy was congruent with your idea of “gentleness.”

If I lapsed in patience with a recalcitrant student, and spoke in an ungentle fashion to them, I would apologize after in front of the entire class. (My policy was to speak privately to the difficult student, but I’m not perfect.) A little humility goes a long way also.

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 7:53 pm #

Thanks for sharing your insight, Hugh.

15. Debbie January 17, 2016 at 3:24 pm #

It says $7.53 for the Kindle book???

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

Hi Debbie,

Dream Class is $4.99 until midnight on January 23rd. Here again is the link: Dream Class Kindle Edition

16. Adrienne Warren January 17, 2016 at 4:49 pm #

Your articles resonate with me! They speak of things that I know instrinsically, but so many strong voices create doubt. Thank you for providing simple truth.

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 7:44 pm #

You’re welcome, Adrienne.

17. Lara January 17, 2016 at 5:38 pm #

I love this.

It resonates with me as I truly understand the impact being gentle can have on how students respond to us. We often think it is incumbent upon us to ‘show’ our dominance and no-nonsense approach with demonstrative displays of controlling and coercive behaviour management. This is the opposite of what we need to do and what our students need from us. You are absolutely correct, being gentle is not being weak or a push over. I believe it actually shows an inner strength and confidence in one’s ability to handle behaviour. Students respond to this. I’m going to refer this to my colleagues.

• Michael Linsin January 17, 2016 at 7:45 pm #

You’re welcome, Lara. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

18. Gilmar January 17, 2016 at 8:16 pm #

It says $6.17 for the kindle. I’ll check tomorrow.

• Michael Linsin January 18, 2016 at 8:47 am #

Hi Gilmar,

It’s been $4.99 (USD) since 12am Sunday.

19. Srinivas January 17, 2016 at 8:48 pm #

Oh, yes, I can vouch for gentleness too…I remember a teacher in college who was gentleness personified. So also another math tutor I had. Thanks for your teaching….

• Michael Linsin January 18, 2016 at 8:48 am #

You’re welcome, Srinivas.

20. Aruna January 17, 2016 at 11:52 pm #

True. A calm gentle approach always wins over bossy strict disciplinarian. You look approachable and that is half the battle won as students open up to you easily. Great article. 🙂

• Michael Linsin January 18, 2016 at 8:47 am #