How To Handle Six Disrespectful Students In One Class

Smart Classroom Management: How To Handle Six Disrespectful Students In One ClassA reader emailed SCM last week wondering how to handle six students who were wreaking havoc in his classroom.

Every day they were disruptive.

They were talkative and silly. They called out during lessons and made inappropriate comments.

They played off one another and held little regard for his expectations.

Most distressing, when he’d confront them or attempt to hold them accountable, they would become disrespectful.

They would argue and complain. They would lie and deny. They would talk back and then goof off when sent to time-out.

The teacher was at the end of his rope and desperate for answers.

One or two disrespectful students are hard enough. How do you handle a half dozen who are determined to make your life miserable?

Well, you don’t. At least, not directly.

You see, one of the most common mistakes teachers make is trying to handle difficult students as distinct entities, separate from the class as a whole.

Day after day, this teacher was pulling them aside for one-on-one talking-tos. He was lecturing them, counseling them, and giving them pep-talks.

He set up behavior contracts, offered rewards in exchange for good behavior, and had consequences designed just for them.

But these individualized methods only make matters worse—because they encourage misbehavior.

They cause resentment and antagonism. They wipe out intrinsic motivation and label students as “difficult,” which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The truth is, when you have several or more students who consistently disrupt learning and behave disrespectfully, it’s a sign you’ve lost control of your class—or never had it to begin with.

It’s a classroom management problem, not an individual student problem.

And the only way to fix it is to start over from the beginning.

It’s to establish sharply defined, non-negotiable boundaries of behavior for all students that are designed to protect your freedom to teach and your students’ freedom to learn.

Then defend it to the hilt.

If you’re in the middle of the school year, it may take several days to see results.

You may even get considerable pushback, especially from the core of disrespectful students who have grown accustomed to having their way and dictating the environment of the class.

But if you fulfill your promise to protect the right of every student to learn and enjoy school, if you refrain from pulling students aside to scold, lecture, and bribe, and instead let your classroom management plan do your talking for you, then you’ll begin to reel them in.

Your most well-behaved students will respond first. You’ll notice them smiling more and making eye contact with you. They’ll be more openly friendly and appreciative. They’ll cheer you on from afar.

Then a few more students will join in support. One by one, you’ll begin picking them off and pulling them into your sphere of influence.

Before long, just one of your most difficult students will turn things around. They’ll abruptly start making the right choices.

They’ll become more respectful. They’ll grow calmer, happier, and more responsive to you and your expectations. They’ll like being part of the class.

Then another difficult student will come aboard. Then another.

You’ll now have more time and freedom to really enjoy your class and teach with greater passion. Your stress will fall away. You’ll smile and laugh more often and begin building real influence and rapport with your students.

You’ll have leverage.

Soon, the last few holdouts will take a look around and notice that no one is laughing at their jokes anymore. No one is amused by their antics.

They’ll realize that following rules and participating as a valued member of the class is a better option than creating their own brand of fun or behaving rebelliously. They’ll shrug their shoulders and join in too.

After all, you’ve made their choice an easy one.

You’ve made the gap between the experience of being part of the class, and the experience of being held accountable, so wide that no student can resist.

You’ve left the door to a safe, warm, and dry place wide open—where they’re welcomed and accepted and can leave their baggage behind.

Where they can be part of something special and bigger than themselves. Where their intrinsic motivational engines can finally begin to turn.

This is no pie-in-the-sky scenario.

It’s a transformation that is taking place in classrooms all over the world. Here at SCM, we receive hundreds of unsolicited email success stories every year.

Our approach to classroom management has been proven to turn around any group of students—no matter how disrespectful or ill-behaved.

If you’re new to our website or newsletter, I encourage you to visit our archive (along the sidebar), where you’ll find over 350 articles covering nearly every classroom management topic imaginable.

You may also want to pick up one of our books or sign up for personal coaching.

Finally, I have a new book coming out in May called The Happy Teacher Habits, which reveals 11 little-known secrets of the happiest, most effective teachers on Earth.

I hope you’ll check it out.

Thanks for reading!

If you haven’t done so already, please join us. It’s free! Click here and begin receiving new-article updates in your email box every week.

74 Responses to How To Handle Six Disrespectful Students In One Class

1. TF Jenssen March 12, 2016 at 10:40 am #

My problem is a class split roughly 50-50 between well behaved students, and troublesome, disrespectful ones. How do you * really* handle that? I feel it’s not fair for the good students having to remind them and going through the classroom rules when there are some students that no matter what, they’ll always be naughty and confrontational.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 12:41 pm #

Hi TF,

The article is a brief summary of our approach. I encourage you to check out our books or spend time in the archive. For specific, one-on-one help, please look into personal coaching.

2. Denise March 12, 2016 at 10:41 am #

What happens with these students when the consequences don’t work:
    My consequences are
    -check and time out
    -check and note home
    -phone call home and may get referral out of classroom for injurious behavior or significantly disruptive behavior – referral to administration never results in phone call to parent or escalating consequences, just a talk

Most students never get beyond check and time out but I have five students who reach check and note home or check and note and referral at least once per week. Parents are not interested in the notes or phone calls home – no consequences- they have the same problems at home and don’t know what to do – don’t want to hear it.
    These children do things like get out of seat and put hands around neck of another child, throw things across the room, sob and cry and climb under the desk because they don’t like the assignment ( art/music) etc. most of them have clear issues that are not being addressed. Parents won’t attend SST’s and won’t sign for IEP’s. Three of them are identified as gifted but have no self control or boundaries. Two recieve talk therapy from a therapist once per week.
    I have a warm relationship with all of them but their behaviors have stabilized at reaching at least two checks almost daily. It is so hard to teach like this.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 12:43 pm #

Hi Denise,

It’s a sign that there are problems elsewhere. Remember, a classroom management plan is important, but it’s a small part of effective classroom management. I would need to speak with you personally and know a lot more information to nail down what those problems are.

3. Nancy March 12, 2016 at 10:44 am #

I teach once a week in a classroom and need to review rules, etc, once a week with them, at the beginning of the day as ot was September.
    Even though I do this every time I’m in the classroom, some days are more difficult then others. Some Children still lack respect.
    I totally agree that tgeses rules need to be established on day 1 and need constant review but some years, our classroom composition may not allow us to eliminate those disrespectful behaviours.
    I’ve been tes Hong fur 20 years and I do see a change in children. Some are not used to having consequences for their actions and having an adult telling them what to do.
    It’s a challenge!

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

Hi Nancy,

Classroom Management for Art, Music, and PE Teacher was written especially for teachers who see students only once a week.

4. Montayne March 12, 2016 at 10:50 am #

This Article didn’t really explain anything. All I got out of this was that you have to make the group of trouble makers feel like part of the class as a whole and soon they’ll all be smiling and compliant. So what specific things would you suggest a teacher in this situation do to make the group of kids giving you trouble feel apart of the group and accountable for their actions?

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm #

Hi Montayne,

There is far more to it than that, which is why we now have four books, 350+ articles, and training programs on the way. The article is an introduction to effective classroom management and the only honest way of answering the teacher’s email question (from the article).

• Sarah Gardner April 7, 2016 at 8:06 pm #

I read and copied a lot of the articles about dealing with disrespectful students into a Word file, this week. I am straight out of Graduate school, and I know I need better classroom management skills. I am a substitute teacher, but I am tired of being treated like a substitute teacher! I am a certified School Media Specialist (librarian), and I get to meet with a lot of classes, daily. And recently, I started working with an After-School program, twice a week, to teach literacy in Reading and Writing to a group of 20+ 6-8 graders.

The first day I met with the students, I introduced myself and told them what we would be doing. I felt like I had their attention, but there was entirely too much side-talking, talking out of turn, and moving about going on. Most of the students did quiet down to listen to the book being read to them. In the second meeting, I started a lesson on writing letters to the President of the United States in their writing books. There was a lot of grumbling, side-talking, rough-housing, and whining. As I read the last half of the book from the previous lesson, a new student kept complaining out loud (and asking if he could go to the gym… alternating with “are we done yet?”) I felt total without control! I could see that half of the class were paying attention, but the other half weren’t. Later, another teacher in the room, took the young student aside to explain how disrespectful he had been, and had him apologize to me. I am old enough to be the student’s parents’ mother! I went home feeling defeated, yet, knowing there had to be a better way.

I found the Smart Classroom Management website, again. I’ve been reading everything for three days! I went to school this afternoon with a game plan: re-introduce myself to every student; explain the goals of the After-School program, again; display the written 4 rules of classroom behavior and consequences for breaking the rules; have a teacher help me to model rule breaking and consequences; teach my lesson with joy.

I explained to the students that I teach elementary and middle school students and adults in basic education and GED classes. And I cannot teach if they are being disrespectful, disruptive, rude, and inattentive. Next week, there will be three teachers teaching in the open cafeteria at the same time, and we all plan to use the same rules.

My third meeting was awesome! The students laughed when I dismissed the “helping teacher” from the group, and I gave those students a warning. I told them these rules are serious: Listening; Being Respectful; Raising Hands; and putting cellphones away during instruction time. I warned about 5 students, and I only had to dismiss 2 from the group for a few minutes. The calm that ensued, and the on-task working attitudes were a joy to behold! I used “In a moment we will be doing….; I explained the directions; I asked if anyone didn’t understand; I told them how long they had to work on the task; and then “You may be begin, now.” Then I walked away and let them complete the task. I came back a minute before time was up and regained their attention to discuss the lesson.

Two students thanked me at the end of today’s lesson; and the four disruptive students left with smiles and dignity intact. (The harshest thing I said was “It’s not cute to behave disrespectfully in class.”) I was told that the last teacher promised the students pizza if they could behave better for two weeks. I didn’t promise any rewards, but I told them their incentive is to do better in all their academic subjects, and later in college and future jobs.

I know I have a long journey ahead, and that I have to stay consistent. And I will. And I have a lot reading to do as I delve into the archives of the Smart Classroom Management website. This site is awesome! Thanks Michael!!!

• Michael Linsin April 8, 2016 at 6:51 am #

It’s my pleasure, Sarah! Way to go! I’m so glad you found us.

• Karen April 18, 2016 at 12:34 pm #

I agree with Montayne.

The article is just a basic statement about the importance of having classroom management (…an “of course!” response from me). It does not address the issue in a practical way with ideas/strategies a teacher can use in the scenario that is raised in the article.

5. Linda March 12, 2016 at 10:51 am #

you offer the advice…. “Create a clear, no-nonsense classroom management plan that covers every possible misbehavior. Teach, model, and practice it so there are no misunderstandings or excuses not to follow it.”

Why do you think that we’ve not already done that?

We call parents into meetings? But there are no consequences only excuses as to why he behaves this way. “His father is not around.” “I don’t want him to have to work so hard.”…

So I’m asking you?… Model for me the “……….clear, no-nonsense classroom management plan that covers every possible misbehavior. ”

We have more behavior problems than ever before and no one is holding parents accountable! It’s a one way street because we must now teach academics and manners, behavior, along with social skills which is turning many new and passionate teachers off. If we don’t have our principals, VP, AP, and parents to help us?, support us?, coming back with blame onto us for poor classroom management Michael?.. Then I fear “accountability” is a useless word for our future generation of adults. Are we really preparing them for the “real world?” I’d get fired if I didn’t do my job. As I should but I see a large wave of parents doing everything for their children.

So please?… Once again… Show me……”a clear, no-nonsense classroom management plan that covers every possible misbehavior.” Because I e been Teaching, modeling and practicing it so there are no misunderstandings!

Then we have a parent meeting because the student will say…”I didn’t know…”

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 12:59 pm #

Hi Linda,

I can definitely understand your frustration. The article was in response to a question from a reader, and I answered it as directly as I could. However, I realized as I was writing it that it would prompt questions, which is why I included the links and suggestions for future reading. The article is a broad overview of our approach to difficult students. For details on everything from how to talk to difficult students to how to motivate them to want to listen and learn, please refer to the Difficult Student category of the archive. I’m also happy to walk you through exactly, step-by-step what you need to do to have the class you want. If you’re interested, check out the link to personal coaching. 🙂

6. JPB March 12, 2016 at 11:05 am #

I disagree with this article to a certain extent. While high, clear expectations work very well with 99 percent of the students out there, we are getting more and more students with emotional issues who could care less about those sorts of things. I have an emotionally disturbed child in my class who desperately needs special education. She is rude, swears, hits kids, screams in the middle of class to scare people and laughs about it, etc. She refuses to leave the classroom when I try to get her to go to a quiet place to calm down and has even just left campus and gone home. It is incredibly hard on the rest of the class and on me. My principal is very supportive and removes her as soon as I call. My expectations of this child are high and very clear. I’ve tried every behavior chart, system possible and nothing works. We are just dealing with it and trying to make it through the year. We are testing her and trying to get the paperwork in order to see if we can find a special class for her somewhere in the district.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm #

When you get a chance, please read through the Difficult category of the archive. Our approach to challenging students is likely very different than what you have tried before. If after using our strategies, you still feel the same way, please email me and I will offer you a free one-hour personal coaching session with me.

7. Frances Frederickson March 12, 2016 at 11:31 am #

I said it before and after this article I say it again.
    I was a new teacher (age 59) and had many bad days
    with 6th grade students and up. This was of course as
    I subbed. Students would sit on their desks windowsills and on
    the floor. When the bell would ring I ‘d say take your seats and we
    will begin with….They then would turn to their neighbor and start
    talking, Happily there where a few good students who would say,
    “Come on guys”, and then we where able to proceed. I am a
    short Mexican lady who looks like she came out of the kitchen from
    a taco place. I’m not! I worked hard to get my degree with family to
    look after but of course the children never knew that. I hope that
    these students became good people after all there fun in school.

My 3rd grade class was the highlight of my
    career in teaching they where in a bilingual class and
    I also had good input with their parents,

8. Treasure March 12, 2016 at 11:49 am #

Thank you for all your insights. They are so helpful.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:07 pm #

You’re welcome, Treasure!

9. chris hellner March 12, 2016 at 12:02 pm #

This may work well for a teacher, but we substitutes don’t have the luxury of day by day enforcement- what do WE do in a situation like that??
    I deal with it a lot in middle school- :(((

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:08 pm #

Hi Chris,

An ebook for substitute teachers is in the works.

• Judit Volner March 28, 2016 at 12:12 pm #

Thanks so much for covering all these topics! I already feel better just because I feel your support and understanding of these difficult situations!

• Michael Linsin March 28, 2016 at 4:01 pm #

It’s my pleasure, Judit.

10. joanna March 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

I find this post annoying as l think the writer has certainly not taught in a difficult area with difficult kids. I enjoy receiving the posts and have implémented many of the methods from teach with the heart. I have 6 classes in middle school and l have one class of 30, 14 year old boys, which is known as the worst class in the school. They are uncontrollable and they delight in it. I have done all the things reccommended but to no avail. The problem is that if the direction does not follow up with severe consequences, you are fighting a losing battle, and the kids know it. They know they will not be expelled (but probably wouldn’t mind if they were), they know that if they don’t turn up for detentions, there is nothing we can do. There has to be a line over which they cannot cross in the school, for class management to work properly.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:15 pm #

Hi Joanna,

I’ve spent 22 of 25 years teaching in very difficult schools. A classroom management plan ebook for middle and high school teachers will hopefully be completed and available before next school year. As for the belief that nothing can be done, I know this isn’t true. I can tell from your email that you haven’t yet had the time to learn our unique approach to classroom management. I urge you to learn the strategies and give it a try. Your situation isn’t hopeless. For the past 25 years I’ve made it my life’s work to uncover the right buttons to push that will allow any teacher—no matter where you work—to create the happy and well-behaved class they really want.

• Debbie May 5, 2016 at 9:37 pm #

Exactly. The SCHOOL needs to have a discipline plan with posted consequences. The principal, superintendent, and school board need to back the teachers. Kids know they have more power when they can manipulate their parents. Parents need to know that principals are going to stand with the teachers.

11. Karen March 12, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

Your smart classroom ideas are wonderfully put together. I understand that you have had years of experience and have tested these classroom management programs. My question and concern is what to do you do when you have students for a term (9-10) weeks at a time? Often the beginning of the term, the first two weeks, is great! After that things start to fall apart. I have implemented your system multiple times keeping everyone accountable to NO avail. The problem students continue to disrupt. I have a class right now where at least 6 students are consistently disruptive. No matter what I implement it doesn’t or hasn’t worked. Myself and their VP are extremely frustrated but continue to find ways to alter or change their behavior. Any suggestions?

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Hi Karen,

I wish we had the time and space to answer your question. I would also need to know a lot more about your specific situation in order to give accurate advice. I will say that the answers are here on the SCM website. There are certainly things you’re missing. You may want to consider personal coaching.

• Karen March 14, 2016 at 7:53 am #

What more would you need to know? I work in a district that is 78% poverty. I have implemented your strategies to other classes and have NOT had this problem. The class I am talking about is also having difficulties in the ELA, Math, Social Studies, and Science classes, so it isn’t just mine. We have a school wide behavioral rubric that we all implement in our classrooms as well as those specific rules/procedures for our specific classroom. The VP of this 6th grade class has been in education for over 18 years and she too has noticed something different/off about this grade as a whole. She has called parents, made changes across teams to split students up, referred students to Tuesday or Thursday school. We get the same response, apathy, they just don’t care about school. I have tried to make my class fun, what’s not fun about art? I am teaching students how to draw from the basics while allowing those who do know how to forge ahead on their own. If I am working with a group at their table they are great and ‘try’ doing the work. As soon as I move onto another table the group I was just with starts to get louder, disruptive, and disrespectful. I will go to the front of the room, put their name on the board, and move back to the table I was in the middle of a tutorial with. The behavior continues. The VP and I have tried to split the ‘problem’ students up by moving their seats to other tables with no good results. The disruptive students continue to be disruptive at their new table. The students at that table become frustrated and they too begin acting up telling their classmates to stop talking. It is a cycle I can’t nor my VP can seem to break.

• Peter September 26, 2016 at 3:46 pm #

I have a similar situation. A group of students that simply should not be in the same classroom. Nothing works except having other adults in the room, but even that fails after a few days. I’m in a small school where these students cannot be broken up into different classes. They have been together for 7 years and every teacher has had this problem every year. Every teacher of every period has a problem with this group. Parents care, but are powerless. No amount of negative consequences matter. I’m resigned to having a class that just won’t learn much this year. It really sucks all joy from teaching. Thank goodness for my other classes. I’ve tried many things on this site and will continue. There are days that seem hopeful. They are usually days that one or more of these students is absent. It is more of a group dynamic. They will never behave well because the rest of the class does. It is too much fun to make things miserable for everyone. I’ll keep trying because that’s what we do. I was hoping this article would help, but the title is misleading. I need an article on what to do when a group of 6 students collude to make the teacher and class miserable. This site is awesome, but it does not cover this situation. These students are violating the civil rights of others and getting away with it.

12. Chuck March 12, 2016 at 12:24 pm #

Great article Michael! I’ve seen this transformation in my class. This was a fairly tough group at the beginning of the year preoccupied with nothing but getting giggles out of their classmates. The rest of the class no longer finds their antics amusing and they’ve joined us as mostly participating members of the class.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

Thanks Chuck! Good to hear from you again.

13. Eileen March 12, 2016 at 12:39 pm #

Hi Michael, I could be this teacher. Any suggestions for how to work with our guidance and social worker who tell us to implement individual plans with rewards (extra computer time, drawing breaks, etc) for students who are challenging. When I tell them I’d like to treat the class the same, they lecture me on different needs, IEPs …

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

Hi Eileen,

This is a topic already on the list of future articles. Stay tuned. 🙂

• Laurie Potts March 17, 2016 at 3:31 am #

This happens to a lot of us – we go to an SST or an IEP and we are told to implement a reward system – it is like to me – dealing with terrorists. I think what you are saying is that you do not deal with terrorists. That the classroom rules and procedures are for everyone and everyone is expected to follow them. Would you elaborate on this ? I love your stuff and it has made a difference in my classroom.

14. Dawn March 12, 2016 at 1:44 pm #

I was a sub for 8th grade language arts core classes last week, and this scenario of 6 defiant students is exactly what I walked in to on day 1.
    Two girls let me and their classmates overhear their intention to assault me if I “got in their face,” while a male student addressed me with profanities. Others were throwing papers, tearing up books, and grinding tater-tots into the carpet. I recorded each instance of defiance/intimidation in detail, then called campus security and turned in the paperwork. All six were escorted out. This was all a whirlwind in the first 15 minutes of class.
    Briefly, I apologized to the remaining students for the interruption, explaining that I follow district protocol and care about maintaining a classroom environment conducive to learning. Then, we continued with the lesson.
    Day 2, all students were back in class and participated to some degree.
    When I come on to this campus, students treat me like a celebrity. Some of the most “difficult” kids cut their own classes to come find me, just for a smile and recognition– I remember their names- then I send them back to class, of course.
    This is a beleaguered school. It’s hard to work here. But the example of being fair and dependable makes a huge impact. With this age group I am also very forthright about what they can expect from high school. They may sabotage their own academic opportunities before they even recognize the value of school. My analogy is of trapping themselves in their relatively small box of experience– very confining!

15. Doreen March 12, 2016 at 2:44 pm #

Hi Denise,

I’m hearing you! When you have children that have experienced severe truama at home, neglect or undiagnosed conditions these classroom strategies may not be entirely successful. It would be good if you had welfare support for these children to do a ‘check in’ before they entered the class to ensure their day was going to be successful. Also, try restorative circles – google it. Doreen

16. Helen Solomon March 12, 2016 at 2:48 pm #

I have four learners in a class of 24 who seem to prefer to disrupt than study. They blatently disrespect both other learners and myself and it’s become a big issue for me. Those disrespectful learners say that I can’t teach and that’s why they behave so badly. I have asked for the principal to step in, for warnings to be written, parents to be brought in..but its true they have naturally now singled themselves from the group. I felt so upset by the last lesson I just walked out. It was down to being scared but I am not use to such blatent disrespect as I work in the film industry.
    I guess I do need support in how to alter the dynamic and realise gaining control takes several approaches. My concern is these learner’s don’t care if they upset you, mis-treat you. Learners never use to be so viscious. I can only go in how things are in the industry. If you did that to your senior Director a PM would show you the door. Zero tolerance, means zero tolerance.
    No matter how dynamic the lesson I make it, they would prefer to play up. I really don’t know what to do…any thoughts?

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 3:26 pm #

Hi Helen,

The article above is my best answer—including the suggestions at the end—short of one-on-one coaching.

17. Courtney March 12, 2016 at 2:55 pm #

I teach 9th and 10th grade, and I’m in my first year. I hAve a couple of classes where kids are having side conversations, out of their chairs, goofing off during my instruction. When I talk to them after class, I get eye rolls or rushed conversations. I have tried to call some parents, email parents, and give out classroom detentions. A lot of this has not really worked, or it works short term. My question is should I tell the whole class we are working on a one warning system for any distraction, and then warn kids once a day before punishment? I am also thinking of moving to referrals as a consequence of ignoring the one warning for any distraction. Referrals are pretty much a talk with a dean that leads to a school detention. Is it bad of I continue to send a lot of kids to the dean? I’m at the point where I am getting super stressed out because kids are not changing and I don’t feel in control sometimes. Help please!

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 3:24 pm #

Hi Courtney,

This is a big question, but one I hope to answer in an ebook for middle and high school teachers I hope to begin soon and have ready before school begins in the fall.

18. Megan March 12, 2016 at 3:43 pm #

Thank you for all you do to help teachers! Keep writing! Everything you say is so beneficial.

• Michael Linsin March 12, 2016 at 3:49 pm #

You’re welcome, Megan! Will do. Thanks for the encouragement.

19. ALDE March 12, 2016 at 8:02 pm #

For me the problem is…lack of appropriate consequences for high school students. I used to hold them after class for 30 seconds and that was pretty effective, but the principal says I cannot do that. We aren’t allowed to assign school detentions. We can assign our own, short detentions, but most kids ride the bus and there are other logistical problems with that. Ideas, anyone?

• Michael Linsin March 13, 2016 at 7:40 am #

Hi ALDE,

We are planning a classroom management plan ebook for middle and high school teachers. Hoping to have it ready by next school year.

20. Judy March 12, 2016 at 9:01 pm #

I’ve tried to follow these strategies and they have helped considerably however at our school, I can’t send notes home without involving the leadership and now they have come up with a different system that I have to follow for warnings and timeouts. However whenever consequences have been given, leadership talks to the class and they always come up with a story that suggests that I have done something unfair even though their behaviour is the same in all of their specialist classes possibly excluding sport. So I don’t have a way of giving consequences without involving leadership now. I’m sure that there are still things I need to do to improve but it seems that this is progressively undermining my authority. Any suggestions?

• Michael Linsin March 13, 2016 at 7:45 am #

Hi Judy,

Remember, what consequences you use are less important than following them to a tee. As long as you’re consistent, and have some way of contacting parents, you should be okay. Indeed, I would avoid having administration talk to your class. We’ve written about this topic in the past. (Please use the search function of the website.)