The Best Of Smart Classroom Management 2016

Smart Classroom Management: The Best Of Smart Classroom Management 2016Here at SCM, we’d like to say “Thank you!”

Because of your loyal readership, we’re able to continue our passion for helping teachers improve their classroom management.

We’re humbled by the success of the website and are more dedicated than ever to provide you with the most effective tips, strategies, and solutions you can find anywhere.

In 2017, we have a number of exciting projects planned.

In the spring, we open enrollment on our first summer video course. We also have at least one, and perhaps two, e-guides coming out just before the next school year begins.

Finally, we hope to begin work on a fifth book, set for publication in the spring of 2018.

Most of all, however, we’re thrilled to bring you another year of Smart Classroom Management.

What follows are the very best articles of 2016.

Happy New Year! And enjoy . . .

How To Handle Six Disrespectful Students In One Class

Why You Should Ignore Difficult Students The First Week Of School

Why Gentleness Is A Strong Classroom Management Strategy

How To Be A Better, Happier Teacher Next School Year

How To Speak So Students Listen

How To Handle A Student Who Yells At You

An Easy Way To Keep Your Cool When Students Misbehave

How To Handle A Class That Tests You Right From The Get-Go

How To Ask For And Receive Your Students’ Attention Within 2 Seconds

The Key To Motivating Students

Why Students Tattle And How To End It

Why Good Rapport With Students Is A Choice You Make Every Day

Have a wonderful and safe holiday!

-Michael

If you haven’t done so already, please join us. It’s free! Click here and begin receiving new-article updates in your email box every week.

33 Responses to The Best Of Smart Classroom Management 2016

1. Muhammad Zaman December 31, 2016 at 9:22 am #

Thank you and happy new year.

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 10:53 am #

It’s my pleasure, Muhammad! Thank you.

2. Marcia December 31, 2016 at 10:14 am #

Thank you very much for all your advice throughout the years. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 10:53 am #

You’re welcome, Marcia! Thank you.

3. Thimios Papakyriakopoulos December 31, 2016 at 11:23 am #

Thank you for all the wonderful articles! This is really the best site for educators and a lot of advises are used in every day practice.

Happy new year!

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 11:54 am #

I’m glad you think so, Thimios! Thank you.

4. K December 31, 2016 at 11:33 am #

I recently read your article on how to handle it when a student pitches a fit to get his/her way. Just out of curiosity, how would you handle a Special Needs related episode, for example, an autistic student melting down from sensory overload or a diabetic student becoming combative because his/her blood sugar is too low?

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 11:55 am #

Hi K,

In much the same way, though with a few caveats. I’ll try to work them in a future article.

5. Leigh December 31, 2016 at 11:55 am #

Thank you for your encouragement and insight into creating the classroom environment that energizes me, and makes me feel proud to call myself a teacher. Looking forward to another great year with you cheering me on!

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 11:56 am #

Wonderful, Leigh! It’s my pleasure.

6. Debby Hines December 31, 2016 at 2:33 pm #

I regularly read articles and often share them with colleagues because they are so very practical and helpful and motivational.

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 6:13 pm #

Glad to hear it, Debby!

7. John December 31, 2016 at 3:00 pm #

Thank you for this great resource! I enjoy the classroom management tips and look forward to what your company will bring in 2017.

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 6:13 pm #

You’re welcome, John! I’m glad you’re a regular reader.

8. Kathryn Sandler December 31, 2016 at 3:33 pm #

I love your newsletters or blog posts! They are super helpful! I am excited to read you will have a summer PD video course. I think offering it in the summer is SMART management!

• Michael Linsin December 31, 2016 at 6:15 pm #

Indeed Kathryn. Thanks! I’m glad you find the articles helpful.

9. Tina December 31, 2016 at 4:26 pm #

I love reading your articles and have forwarded your link to others. However I’m still having difficulty with one specific student who is labeled as ODD, ADHD, and an emotional disorder. Do you have a specific link for students with these issues that can and do affect their rest of the class?

10. Ron December 31, 2016 at 7:38 pm #

Thanks Michael for your advice.

What advice would you go for coaches? I consider myself a teacher of my sport. I am applying your principles to my classroom, but I want to be consistent and apply the same principles to my basketball team.

Thanks

• Michael Linsin January 1, 2017 at 8:42 am #

You’re welcome, Ron. Although the goal may be different (winning as a team), the core principles of trust, rapport, consistency, highly detailed teaching (John Wooden), focus on process (Bill Walsh), and establishment of clear boundaries remain the same. I’ll put this topic on the list of future articles.

11. Mila January 1, 2017 at 2:29 pm #

Thank you for the articles. I like reading them and think about my teaching methodology. Your advices are simple but useful. I have learnt that we don’t need complex answers or get mad rethinking about a solution that seems so deep. At the end of the day there is a simple thing to remember: they are children, they need help but also diciple. We, as teacher should show respect for our students so that they can trust on us . To be close to them is also important, specially in the high school when adolescence is a difficult and hard time. My best wishes for this new year. Mila

• Michael Linsin January 1, 2017 at 4:58 pm #

You’re welcome, Mila. Thank you. And thanks for sharing your thoughts.

12. Ron January 1, 2017 at 5:52 pm #

Michael,

What are your reasons to say yelling is not the most efficient method in a sports arena? It seems that most of the best coaches, yell and bring intensity. Your methods seem to contradict this. Does the goal of winning in the sports world change things? Your way of trying to motivate intrinsically appeals greatly to me.

What are your thoughts?

• Michael Linsin January 2, 2017 at 9:25 am #

Hi Ron,

There is a lot to this topic, including some key differences between teaching and coaching. It’s something you and I would have to discuss personally in order to unpack the most effective ways to motivate players. I will, however, consider an e-guide on the topic given enough interest.

13. Grover Prowell January 2, 2017 at 10:23 am #

Hi Michael

I am looking for advice about how to handle students’ use of electronic devices in class, which seems to frequently distract them.

Grover

• Michael Linsin January 2, 2017 at 2:38 pm #

Hi Grover,

You create and implement a rule and a consequence. I recommend taking the phone away (no warning) and returning it at the end of the day.

• Grover Prowell January 2, 2017 at 3:46 pm #

Hi Michael

Thanks for the suggestion. I teach at a middle school and find the students quite resistant to giving up their phones. However, I can certainly implement a rule with a consequence, model the misbehavior, then relentlessly follow through on the consequence.

Grover

14. Eric Pearson January 6, 2017 at 3:14 pm #

Hello Michael and thank you for sharing your no-nonsense tips and expertise over the years for educators across the U.S. I searched but do not see anything related to ‘substitute teachers’ – and I know there are some substitutes out there who would love to learn about how they might be most impactful in that role. Granted, most of your classroom management basics, how to establish motivation and rapport, speak so students will listen, etc. are entirely relevant and applicable to any educator – permanent teacher or substitute. But there are specific things a substitute has to deal with that could use some attention. Like what to do when the sub is in a classroom and there is no lesson plan. Or how to handle the high school student who verbally assaults you because “you’re just a sub”. Please consider writing an article or two that addresses substitute teachers specifically – I’m sure there are some who subscribe to your blog. Thanks and Happy 2017!

• Michael Linsin January 6, 2017 at 5:34 pm #

Thanks Eric! It’s a topic that is too big for a single article. However, we’re considering How To Be A Great Substitute Teacher for our next e-guide.

15. Margo Roske January 8, 2017 at 8:15 pm #

Hello Michael,

Thank you for all the helpful tips! Although I work with 2 year old’s, many of your ideas work well with them. I always look forward to reading your emails and posts.
    Happy New Year!

Margo

• Michael Linsin January 9, 2017 at 9:01 am #

You’re welcome, Margo. I’m so glad the articles have been helpful with your little ones. 🙂